· The Audi A8 comes standard with a supercharged V6 engine that reviewers say is powerful and refined.
· A more powerful twin-turbocharged V8 engine and a W12 engine is available in higher trims, and the high-performance Audi S8 offers even more power.
· A new turbo-diesel V6 engine comes in the long-wheelbase A8L TDI, and test drivers are particularly impressed with the power and fuel economy that the diesel-powered A8L provides.
· An eight-speed automatic transmission comes with all A8 models, and critics agree that it shifts quickly and smoothly.
· The base A8 gets estimated 13.84/8.4 litres/100 kmh for city and highway, which is very good for the class.
· The A8L TDI earns outstanding fuel economy for a super luxury car, at 9.8/6.5 litres per 100 kmh.
· An adaptive air suspension comes standard in the A8, which gives the A8 surprisingly soft handling, as well as a ride that’s comfortable and composed.
· Some reviewers also note that the A8’s driving dynamics are further bolstered by precise steering and the excellent traction provided by the standard all-wheel drive system.
The A8’s cabin is one of the nicest in the class. Reports say that the exceptional build quality and first-rate materials make the interior almost as nice as the pricier Mercedes-Benz S-Class’ interior, and some report that only exotic cars built by Bentley or Rolls-Royce offer accommodations that are more luxurious.
The Audi A8 has comfortable and supportive front seats, as well as a spacious back seat. The A8L has even more space, with an additional back-seat legroom. While many auto writers note that the A8 has less trunk space than most super luxury cars, others are amazed by the A8’s standard high-tech interior features, which include a navigation system that can display Google Earth views and a Bose stereo system with HD and satellite radio, as well as Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity.
Options and features available on higher trims include four-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise control and a Bang & Olufsen sound system.
Summary of Reviews by other automotive experts:
· "With a gorgeous cabin and handling that's distinctly and gloriously German, the A8 is, from roof to rubber, a class act that succeeds at elevating the driving experience in the large luxury sedan class." -- Edmunds
· "When it comes to feature content, performance and prestige, the A8 holds its own against long-refined rivals like the BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Lexus LS." -- Kelley Blue Book
· "Fire up the A8 L and it performs just like an Audi. It's a cocoon of comfort with lots of power. It is so quiet that the thrill of the power from the supercharged V6 was the only thing keeping me awake one morning." -- Autoweek(2013)
· "Compared with the big S-Classes and 7 Series of the world, the A8 feels lithe and more responsive -- less of a limousine and more of a sport sedan. That's to say nothing of the long-wheelbase Audi's huge amount of rear legroom." -- Motor Trend (2013)